Today even the presumption of wrongdoing can ruin a person as fast as the sin itself. Staying accountable to someone is one of the best ways to stay on the right track with your Christian walk.
Staying Accountable Matters
Most people aren’t willing to be
Look at it this way, if you have someone you can be completely honest with you have a key to stay on the up and up. Even Billy Graham had people he was accountable too and the Pope has a Father Confessor. No one in real authority is not tempted, why should we be any different.
Your success in staying accountable is dependent on your honesty. One pastor told me of a man he met with for a year that was having an affair with two women while he was lying to the pastor. Seriously?
There will be a time at the beginning where you are hesitant to open up. Building a relationship of this kind will take a couple of months at least. During this feeling out phase you will know if this person can be trusted or if they are going to burn you the first time you open up.
Remember, the more you have to lose, the more you need to be accountable. Staying accountable isn’t hard, but it isn’t always easy.
Here are a few questions to get you started. You will need to come up with others to suit your situation.
- Have you prayed and studied your bible this week?
- Do you attend church services regularly?
- Are you letting God lead you?
- Are you spending time nurturing and leading your family?
- Have you looked at a woman or man inappropriately?
- Have you knowingly committed a sin?
- Does God get credit for what you do?
- You know what you need to be asked. If you are eating too much then that should be on the list. If you are envious or overspend money, that’s on the list. You know what you need to be asked,
sobe honest and be accountable.
The simplest thing you can do to be accountable is to find someone you trust and start a relationship. Other possible partners are:
- Life Coach
- Spiritual Director
- Join AA, NA,
Al Anon, or other recovery group. You will get a sponsor to keep you accountable.
- Pastor you can trust.
Figure out where you are and what your needs are and start looking for someone to help you stay honest with yourself.